15°C | 18°C

HISTORY

Accueil > Le Pradet > HISTORY

LE PRADET IN 3 DATES :

Formerly attached to the city of La Garde, “Lou Pitchoun Prat” is just a suburb

up to a day when each village wishes to have its independence.

-On January 31st, 1791, Purchase of the land that will constitute the public square and thus the heart of Le Pradet

– On June 18th 1894, Administrative separation between La Garde and Le Pradet

– On June 19th, 1894, Le Pradet becomes a village in its own right, thus giving birth to a real hamlet.

ETYMOLOGY OF PRADET :

Le Pradet is a diminutive for the word “pré, prairie” (meaning meadow) ; due to its topographic position.

Each land-owner had a plot of land in this ideal grassy area. This multitude of “small meadows” was called “lei pradet” in our beautiful Provincial language.

During the 16th century, we find the Pradel street ; the land on which this road was planned had formerly been partly covered by marshes, giving its name “Pradel”.

The Provincial “Pradeù” was then turned into the French “Pradel”. We find the noun “Pradel”, in official documents up to the 18th century.

From Pradel, the word easily became Pradet.

SOME EXPLANATIONS ABOUT THE HISTORICAL POINTS OF LE PRADET :

Let’s start with the presentation of the coat of arms:

The horn of plenty, representing horticulture and viticulture

Golden cliffs topped by a crenulated tower

A motto: “Semper supra det” which means “Always higher”

THE FLAMENCQ SQUARE :

The central square, which was only formed by a few houses at first, started its slow development over the years. In 1841, it was decided by public Act, that the existing land between the two lines of already built houses would be transformed into a highly attractive public square, giving access to the church.

In the middle of the square, the fountain, an essential element of public squares in southern countries.

Unveiled by the prefect Hudelot on April 20th, 1911, the new fountain located on the Flamencq square, slimmer than the former one, has the shape of an obelisk topped by a Marianne.

Water flows into the round (3 m. diameter) water basin through 4 water-jets. This new fountain is more distant from the street than the previous one.